This fall, we’re getting new Public Art!
In collaboration with Blue Heron and the City of Durham’s Cultural and Public Art Program, Durham Central Park encourages Durham artists and artist teams to submit portfolios to be considered for our new public art project overlooking the park. This fall, a mural will be installed along four brick panels of the new apartment building adjacent to the park, Foster on the Park. The panels will be positioned to the north of The Pavilion, home of the Durham Farmers Market.
A few things for artists to consider:
- The brick panels vary a bit in size, but are roughly 14’ wide and 20-25’ tall
- Community engagement to develop a theme will occur during September
- Fabrication will take place during October
- The total project budget is $13,000
If you or someone you know is experienced in producing public art and excited to contribute to the beautification of Durham Central Park, please submit your portfolio to the City’s Pre-Qualified Artists Registry via Café.
The portfolio application requests the following information:
- Artist statement (a brief description of experience, discipline(s) and qualifications for completing artworks)
- Portfolio (five images)
The deadline for consideration is Sunday, August 18 at 11:59 p.m. In addition to being considered for this project, registering for the City’s pre-qualified list makes you eligible for consideration for all other City-issued public art calls.
We are excited to collaborate with a Durham artist to further the vision of creating a vibrant, beautiful and welcoming park! For more information, please contact Alex Benson at [email protected] or 919-560-4197 x21238.