Durham Central Park is Hiring!
Development and Marketing Coordinator
Durham Central Park is a 5 acre-city park in the heart of downtown Durham. This city park, however, is like no other in Durham. It is managed, programmed and improved by a 501c3 non-profit organization, DCP, Inc. We receive no city funding for this work. We oversee all aspects of the park – presenting free programming, hosting hundreds of events at the Pavilion, overseeing the daily maintenance and management of the space. Our mission is “providing space for the community” and our team, made up of staff, board members and volunteers, accomplish that mission in multiple ways.
We maintain this beating heart of the city’s center, fulfilling the promise made decades ago to transform an overgrown, trash-strewn eyesore into a lively community gathering space. DCP now welcomes thousands of visitors each year. Our Pavilion is home to DCP’s signature events – the PLAYlist Concert Series, Food Truck Rodeos and the Children’s Fourth of July parade – as well as many other community events, including the Durham Farmers’ Market. Each year, dozens of organizations have made Durham Central Park their home for special events to bring awareness to their cause.
The park, however, isn’t just for events and entertainment. It is a small piece of calm in a growing and changing landscape. The park offers lush gardens and trails, gorgeous vistas, an exciting playground for kids, interactive public art, and Durham’s only skatepark. It is a space for people to walk, play, relax and just breathe.
In many ways, this organization serves in a ‘Friends of the Park’ type capacity. Our main sources of revenue come from facility rentals, programming sponsorship and revenue, grants and most importantly donations from steadfast contributors. As the park has developed and the organization has grown, we have found that it is time to add a new member to the team – someone who can bring their expertise, energy and enthusiasm for the park into development, fundraising and telling the story of this special corner of downtown Durham.
Durham Central Park is seeking a driven and enthusiastic Development and Marketing Coordinator to add to our small and dedicated team. We are looking for someone who has experience in nonprofit fundraising and most importantly, someone who is passionate about the Durham community, bringing people together and doing meaningful and exciting work with us.
The Development and Marketing Coordinator is a key member of the Durham Central Park (DCP) team working to advance the organization’s mission by executing a development and communications plan focused on diversifying revenue sources and increasing community engagement. Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and communication with donors, staff, volunteers, and all Durham Central Park stakeholders is a fundamental part of the position. General duties include donor stewardship and tracking, signature event sponsor management, other fundraising efforts, as well as managing the general communications and marketing narrative for the organization. The person in this position will gain mastery of the donor database and ensure accurate donor information is regularly communicated to the Executive Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Development Coordination and Support
- Work with DCP staff and board members to design and implement the organization’s annual fundraising plan, including developing special strategies and initiatives.
- Prepare and coordinate donor appeals.
- Update fundraising dashboard, including donor information and donor segments, and use the information to prepare targeted mailings
- Steward donors in particular categories as directed, e.g. different strategy for monthly donors than for first-time donors.
- Manage the process for donor acknowledgements to ensure timely and appropriate donor recognition, and prepare annual contribution statements.
- Import and/or enter information promptly from Eventbrite, Stripe, or any other platforms used to manage Durham Central Park activity into eTapestry..
- Resolve any donor payment issues as they arise.
- Assist with planning fundraising events.
- Attend any relevant staff, committee, or board meetings.
- Create and track the annual grant calendar.
- Conduct outreach and collect information to inform grant proposals and reports.
- Produce supporting documentation for grant proposals and reports.
- Copy, collate, and mail hard-copy proposals.
Communication and Marketing
- Develop and manage a communications calendar to direct regular outreach to park supporters and users.
- Track significant communication and interactions on eTapestry.
- Work with external vendors as needed to create, edit and deliver donor and organization communication and collateral.
- Manage and update the organization’s website.
- Manage DCP’s social media presence, write e-newsletters, and update the blog in a complementary and coordinated way.
Align with DCP Values
- Durham Central Park is a small but nimble organization, so all staff members assist with park programming, volunteer coordination, and facility management when necessary.
- DCP’s ethos and the nature of its work as an outdoor community space requires each member of its staff to work together as a team, be willing to step in and get their hands dirty (sometimes literally), take initiative when necessary, and be ready to learn new skill sets along the way.
- Racial, social, historical, and cultural competence are paramount to working for Durham Central Park, along with a serious commitment to equity and a sense of responsibility toward all members of the community.
- A minimum of three years’ nonprofit development experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build and maintain donor relationships on behalf of the organization
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently with little administrative support
- Demonstration of professionalism in all aspects of work; ability to set priorities, multi-task, and meet deadlines
- Excellent computer skill and work experience with Microsoft software, Google Drive, and eTapestry or similar donor database
- Ability and willingness to work daytime, as well as some weekend and evening hours
- General knowledge of Canva or similar design software
- Experience managing social media for a company or organization
- Knowledge of working with WordPress based websites
HOURS AND SALARY
This is a part-time salaried position with the opportunity to grow into a full-time position. At this time, the position is 30 hours per week with a starting salary range of $38,000-$44,000, depending on experience. Contribution to retirement IRA and paid time off added after 3 month probationary period.
To apply please write us a one page letter (no longer) describing why you feel strongly about the park, your organizational skills, your fundraising experience and why you would be a good fit for this position. Please include your resume with the letter. You can email these to [email protected]
Applications will be considered as they are received and accepted until the position is filled. You are encouraged to apply promptly.
Durham Central Park is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, marital or veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression.